What People Think
Glenn. Quebec, Canada
I have suggested a couple product improvements and have received a favourable response.
Great company, great products and very responsive staff. AND YES…THERE WILL BE FIGHTS OVER THIS WHEN IM GONE. Just like my other SB products. In my opinion…you can not go wrong with this.
This thing is amazing. Goes
Great conversation piece on trips.
This travel chess set has a 20" leather tournament sized chess board, which makes the bag when it rolls up. It rolls up and fits into the external frame that has a cap at both ends and a shoulder strap so it turns into a travel chess set. It comes with three leather pigskin bags. One bag full of dark chess pieces, one bag full of light chess pieces and one bag full of leather checkers. It is a leather travel chess set like you've never seen.
The heavy weighted wooden chess pieces of this travel chess set are made by craftsmen in Poland and have felt bottoms. Each piece has unique variances just as wood does. The leather checker pieces are made at our own factory in Mexico. This chess set contains small pieces: please keep them away from small children, hungry dogs, and vacuums.
Dimensions (W x H)
Exterior: 20" x 20"
Weight: 4.90 lbs
38 Benefits of Chess
The Smartphone Anti-Venom
Why Play Chess?
My son and I take our leather travel chess set all over the world and when we play games, we write on the back where, when and who won. It will be my son’s prized possession when I am gone. I am giving him the gift of chess and here are the benefits of playing chess for you and your family too.
How to Successfully Outrun a Bear - You don’t have to be faster than the bear. You just have to be faster than most people around you. It’s the same with success in life. Our brains don’t need to be stronger than everybody else’s. We just need to be able to think stronger and faster and ahead of most of our peers and competitors. Does chess make you smarter? Yes, that’s the gift chess gives us.
The Greeks Were Dominant in War because of their Olympic Games. Brilliant military strategists got their soldiers to train hard and prepare for war, with a smile. They competed with each other throwing javelins, shot putting big rocks, wrestling, shooting arrows, running fast and jumping far. The result was they were more fit, skillful and prepared in times of war than their enemies. The Spartans won more often than their enemies and you will win more than your opponents in life if you practice chess.
Chess Gives Six Pack Abs
The reason 600 million people play chess and have been playing the “brain sport” since A.D. 600 is because it’s fun. And it just so happens to train and prepare the mind for our own battles and wars. Practicing and competing in physical sports is fun but usually only has temporary benefits. Training in chess is like giving your brain six pack abs and strong legs for life. It’s like Jiu-jitsu for the mind and is the most preparing game a person can play.
Elite Athletes Play Chess
As the famous baseball philosopher, Yogi Berra, once said, “Baseball is 90% mental. The other half is physical”. Is it just a coincidence that a lot of the elite athletes in the world play chess to train their minds to make good split second decisions? Do strong minds play chess or does chess make minds strong? Do elite athletes play chess or does chess make athletes elite? They all say it helps them a lot. If college football players don’t do well in the Wonderlic Test (tests reasoning and decision making), they rarely get drafted. Here are a few of the elite athletes who play chess, and while traveling.
- Kareem Abdul Jabbar
- Larry Bird
- Barry Bonds
- Don Drysdale
- Ron Guidry
- David Robinson
- Lennox Lewis
- Jim Brown
- Kobe Bryant
- Wilt Chamberlain
- Roger Federer
And here is a list of the benefits of chess and below it are the explanations and scientific studies to help you understand how chess develops us Intellectually, Emotionally, Physically, and Relationally. Each of these bullet points is expanded further in our blog here.
1. Chess exercises both sides of the brain.
2. Playing chess increases IQ significantly.
3. It develops logical and critical thinking.
4. Chess naturally increases our capacity for memory.
5. Our attention, focus and concentration are strengthened when we play chess - a.k.a. the Smartphone Anti-venom.
6. Playing chess strengthens one’s imagination
7. It develops strategic thinking and tactical planning.
8. Chess grows our decision making ability - Weigh options and realizing consequences for actions
9. Chess players visualize in advance - For creating vision, strategy and plans
10. It fosters our fluid intelligence - Chess requires us to analyze problems and use reasoning to think through them.
11. Playing chess increases our processing speed - To evaluate a situation and act efficiently.
12. Chess improves reading comprehension and skills - To analyze a piece of text better and faster.
13. Playing chess improves math skills
14. Chess helps us see problem solve creative alternatives and unique solutions quickly.
15. It nurtures spacial skills and seeing patterns
16. Chess increases self awareness.
17. Learning chess grows our patience.
18. Playing chess develops creativity.
19. It strengthens our self control - Chess skyrockets rational thinking and stunts impulsive and emotional behavior.
20. Getting better at chess builds confidence and therefore self reliance.
21. Chess teaches us to be more flexible.
22. Brain games enhance common sense.
23. Chess relaxes us from the stresses of the day.
24. Valuing delayed gratification happens when playing chess.
25. It trains us to anticipate others’ moves.
26. Chess teaches us the end game and how to close deals.
27. Chess makes it easier for us to make friends and socialize better.
28. We learn how to win and lose gracefully by playing chess.
29. Chess grows our empathy because we know how it feels.
30. Playing chess expands our perspective - “Theory of Mind” is seeing life (or the chess board) from other people’s perspectives.
31. Chess prevents, reverses or stops Alzheimers and Dementia symptoms
32. Chess aids in treating Schizophrenia
33. Playing chess magnifies therapy or rehabilitation exercises. Chess helps stroke victims recover faster.
34. Chess players control irritating ADD or ADHD symptoms better. I strongly believe these are not “disorders”, but rather, manifestations of creative gifting.
35. Chess experts are calm under pressure. It becomes second nature.
36. Chess is great occupational therapy - It occupies our minds from thinking about life’s difficulties.
37. Reduces stress, anxiety and panic attacks
38. Builds self esteem
Our job as parents is to raise up and train our kids to leave home successfully. To be solid, helpful, actively contributing and functioning members of society. The better we train them for that, the more success they will have. And learning chess can help them help us launch them well. Would you want to hire someone trained in these skills?